HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. HTML is a language for describing web pages. HTML is not a programming language, it is a markup language (A markup language is a set of markup tags). Markup tags describe how text should be displayed.
Important characteristics of HTML
- HTML markup tags are usually called HTML tags.
- HTML tags are keywords surrounded by angle brackets like <html>
- HTML tags normally come in pairs like <b> and </b>
- The first tag in a pair is the start tag (opening tag), the second tag is the end tag (closing tag).
- An HTML file is a text file with HTML tags and file name must end with .htm or .html. This file can be created using a simple text editor so it is also called n HTML document or a web page
This is the basic notation of HTML document
<body><p>What is HTML?</p>