Is your Windows 10 PC is running slow and you are experiencing very low PC performance? You are not the only one; there are so many Windows users who are experiencing the same issues and struggling to
fix Windows 10 slow performance.
There are so many factors that can affect your Windows performance and make your PC slow. Here are the reasons that can cause your
Windows 10 PC to run slow:
- Outdated Windows and Device Drivers
- Too many apps open at once
- Small Page file Size
- Low pace on Hard Drive
- So many animations and visual effects on your PC
- OneDrive Syncing
- Unwanted Startup Programs
- Viruses/malware on PC
- Slow performance power plan on PC
How to Fix Windows 10 Slow Performance
In this article, we are going to walk you through the best tweaks and tricks that will going to
improve your Windows 10 slow performance. Go through each tip given below to
boost up your Windows 10 performance.
1. Always Update Your Windows and Device Drivers
The most common reason for Windows 10 slow performance is outdated Windows and drives. So, for this, you need to make sure that your Windows and device drivers are updated. By updating Windows, your PC’s Device Drivers will also get updates, which can also
improve PC’s performance.
Follow these steps to check for Windows updates:
- Click on the Start button, then select Settings, go to Update & Security
- Click on Windows Update and click on Check for updates option.
- Skip these steps if the status says "You're up to date" if the status says "Updates are available" then select
- Select the updates you want to install, and then select Install.
- Restart your PC.
2. Don’t Run Too Many Apps at Once
Having multiple apps and web browsers open all at once can be one of the reasons for
slow performance on your Windows 10 PC. You can fasten up your PC by closing apps and browsers tabs that you don’t need. If you still experiencing slowdown then, restart your PC and only open apps and browsers that you needed.
3. Make Sure That The System is Managing The Page File Size
Windows uses Page file as virtual memory to store all those data that the computer’s memory can’t hold when RAM fills up. With Windows 10 Setting option you can manage the size of the Page file automatically; Page file size can
improve your Windows 10 PC’s performance.
Here are the steps you can follow to manage page file size:
- Go to Settings
- Click on System > About
- Click on System info option under the Related settings section
- Click on the Advanced system settings
- Click on the Advanced tab
- Now go to the Performance section and click on the Settings button
- Click on the Advanced tab
- Click on the Change button under the Virtual Memory section
- Uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives option.
- Select the drive on which Windows 10 is installed.
- Now select the radio button next to the Custom Size option.
- Enter the recommended size in the Initial Size and Maximum Size box.
- Then click on the Set button.
- Click on the Ok button.
- Now you can check your PC’s performance by restarting your PC.
4. Check for Hard Drive Low Space
Low Disk space can lead to slowdowns as Windows will struggle to keep up with RAM requirements which programs and features use. So freeing up disk space is one of the
best ways to speed up your computer system.
Here are the steps which you can follow to check disk space on your PC:
- Go to the Start button, and then select the Setting option.
- Click on System, then go to Storage
- In the Storage area, you can see the total size and amount of unused disk space.
If your disk space is low and if there are unnecessary and temporary files on your device, then you can remove these files by using Storage Sense. When the Storage Sense will turn on, all the unnecessary files will be removed from the device by Windows.
If you want to know how to turn-on and configure Storage Sense then follow these steps:
- Go to the Start button, then go to Setting, click on System
and then select Storage.
- Now you will see the Storage area, here you need to turn on the Storage Sense option.
- Now choose “Configure Storage Sense or run it now” option.
- Now under the Storage Sense section, you need to choose how often you would like to run Storage Sense.
- Under the Temporary File section, choose the option “Delete Temporary Files – that my app are not using”.
- Now you need to select the files which you want to delete by Storage Sense.
- Then click on the Clean Now button.
To free up Hard Drive space you can also defrag the Hard Drive. This is a very effective way to
fix Windows 10 performance because it will remove all the fragmented files from the drives.
To Defragment the hard drive, follow these steps:
- Go to the Search bar and type Defragment
- Then click on the “Defragment and Optimize Drives” option.
- Now under the Status area, choose the drive to defrag.
- Then click on the Optimize button.
5. Adjust Animations and Visual Effects of Windows
Windows 10 offers some nice and fancy visual effects, animations and shadows. These visual effects are enabled by default, and they can affect the
performance of Windows 10 PC though. If your Windows performance is low, you can speed it up by disabling some of its visual effects.
To adjust/disable animations and visual effects in windows follow these steps:
- Press Win + R keys to open the RUN dialog box, now type sysdm.cpl and then press
- The System Properties window will open. Then click on the Advanced tab and click on the
Settings button in the Performance section.
- A new window will open. On the Visual Effects tab select the Adjust for best performance radio button and then click on
Apply and Ok button. By choosing this option Windows 10 will turn off all the visual effects that slowdowns your PC.
6. Manage Power Settings of PC
The power plan of your PC can affect the Windows 10 performance and can make it slow. A Battery saver plan reduces the PC’s performance to save energy. You can boost the performance of the computer by selecting “High Performance” instead of the “Power Saver” option in the power plan.
For this you need to go through the steps given below:
- First, go to Control Panel
- Click on Hardware and Sound
- Go to Power Options
- Now choose the High Performance option under additional plans
- You can also choose a Balanced option.
Note: You can also select a Balanced option but it will not give as much strong boost to your
Windows 10 slow performance as the High Performance option can give.
7. Stop OneDrive from Syncing
On Windows 10, OneDrive is the cloud-based file storage; it keeps your files synced and up-to-date across all the devices. It is also a backup tool and helps make sure your files are backed up in case your PC or hard disk is damaged. These things are done by syncing files between PC and OneDrive.
But, the syncing process may make your Windows 10 running slow. For this, you can pause OneDrive syncing to check whether it helps to
improve PC’s performance.
Here are the steps to stop One Drive Sync:
- Click on the OneDrive icon under the taskbar.
- Click on More option and choose Pause Syncing option.
8. Disabling Unwanted Startup Programs
There are so many programs that start automatically when you turn on your PC and start running in the background. Running too many programs in the background can impact your device performance.
If you want to fix Windows 10 slow performance and wan to speed up the PC, then stop programs from running, which you don’t use very often.
To stop the automatic start of the program:
- Go to the Start button.
- Click on Settings > Apps > Startup
- Now under the Startup Apps section, turn off the program that you don’t want to start automatically.
9. Check and Remove Viruses/Malware from Your PC
Viruses, malware or malicious software can also be one of the reasons for low PC performance. Symptoms, in this case, are popping up unexpected notifications or messages or unexpectedly starting of any program. The best way to fix this issue is to run antivirus software and keep it up to date.
All the methods we have discussed are the best methods to fix Windows 10 slow performance.
After following all these methods, you will be able to fix the Windows 10 performance issues and will experience better PC performance.
It will make your Windows 10 PC run faster and will work smoothly.