Polycystic ovary syndrome commonly known as PCOS is a hormonal disorder in the women who are in their reproductive age. In this, women body grow a number of small cysts, or fluid-filled sacs, on their ovaries although the cysts are not harmful, they lead to an imbalance in hormone levels.
Women with PCOS may have menstrual period abnormalities, increased male hormone levels, excess hair growth, acne, and obesity.
Ayurvedic treatment for polycystic ovarian disease treat ovaries which develop follicles and fail to release eggs.
The real cause of PCOS is still not discovered, but some causes that are being considered are:
Researches show that genes can be the reason to contribute to this condition.
• Insulin resistance
Insulin is a hormone produces by the pancreas to help the body to use sugar from foods for energy. Over 80 percent of women with PCOS have insulin resistance which means that their cells can’t use insulin properly which may increase the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Women who have increased levels of inflammation in their body and being overweight can contribute to this. The excess of inflammation leads to higher androgen levels.
Apart from cysts on the ovaries, there are other symptoms of PCOS which include:
• Irregular periods: The lack of ovulation prevents the shedding of uterine lining every month. It makes women get fewer than eight periods a year.
• Hair growth: More than 80% of women with this condition have hair grown on their face, back, belly, and chest. Excess hair growth is often called hirsutism.
• Acne: Male hormones in the women often make the skin oilier than usual and which can cause breakouts on the face, chest, and upper back.
• Heavy bleeding: The abnormality in the periods makes the period heavier than normal.
• Weight gain: Many women with PCOS are overweight or obese.
• Headaches: Hormonal changes in the body can trigger headaches in some women
• Male-pattern baldness: PCOS can make the hair on the scalp to get thinner and further to fall out.
• Darkening of the skin: The dark patches on the skin can be noticed around the neck and under the breasts.
Ayurvedic Treatment for PCOS
You can use these easily available things for treating PCOS:
Turmeric is used in cooking, beauty products and its medicinal properties bring great relief to women. It helps in improving insulin resistance, and detoxify the female reproductive system, and remove acne.
Cinnamon besides its refreshing scent and taste helps in regulating blood sugar levels. It is known for boosting fertility and improving insulin sensitivity.
It is full of antibacterial, antidiabetic, antifungal, and sedative properties. It is an amazing blood purifier and treats acne and almost all sorts of skin disorders.
Best ayurvedic treatment for PCOS also includes yogic exercises to help women suffering from PCOS. Some yoga asanas like Sarvangasana, Pranayama, butterfly pose, Padma sadhana, Bharadvajasna, Surya Namaskar, bring better results in the treatment of PCOS.