Create and Apply a Theme in SharePoint
In this article I am going to explain and show you how to create and customize the theme with the help of PowerPoint and apply it in the SharePoint Site. I also demonstrate how to apply the theme programmatically in SharePoint.
Follow these steps to create a Theme:
- Open Microsoft PowerPoint 2010.
- Go to Design Tab.
- Click the drop down arrow in colors.
- Click on "Create New Theme Colors".
· Choose the Theme colors as per your requirement.
· Enter the Name and click on Save.
· Go to File à Save As type.
· Enter File Name as MyTheme.
· Choose Office Theme in Save As Type.
- Open the SharePoint Site.
- Go to Site Actions à Site Settings à Galleries à Themes.
· Click Add new item and browse your theme and add the theme file that we have created.
After adding a theme you have to apply it in the SharePoint Server:
· Go to Site Actions à Site Settings à Look and Feel à Site Theme.
· Select the theme which we have created and Click on Apply to apply the theme in the SharePoint Server.
The sites look like the following:
Now you have to apply the theme programmatically in the SharePoint Site:
1) Open Visual Studio and create a Console Application.
Write the below code in the Program.cs file:
static void Main(string args)
using (SPSite objSite = new SPSite("http://rohit:34143/"))
using (SPWeb objWeb = objSite.OpenWeb())
objThemeList = ThmxTheme.GetManagedThemes(objSite);
foreach(ThmxTheme objThmx in objThemeList)
if (objThmx.Name == "Berry")
Console.WriteLine("Berry Theme applied in the SharePoint Site");
Now you can see in your SharePoint site Berry Theme is applied. Now the site looks like the following:
Thanks for reading this article. After reading this article you can easily create the theme with help of PowerPoint and can also apply the theme in the SharePoint site.