Microsoft SharePoint is a software platform and a family of software products developed by Microsoft for collaboration, file sharing and web publishing.
SharePoint helps team members to connect and exchange information in a collaborative manner. It helps to centralize enterprise information for efficient functioning. Microsoft SharePoint 2010 makes it easier for people to work together. Using SharePoint 2010, we can set up Web sites to share information with others, manage documents from start to finish, and publish reports to help everyone make better decisions.
Benefits of SharePoint:
1. For IT Professionals: SharePoint 2010 delivers a powerful, easy-to-deploy infrastructure that can help and make a company more productive. Flexible deployment options let we customize the system so that people can do their jobs effectively in a secure environment. Plus, with centralized administration and management features, we can be confident knowing that we maintain control over a system that is ready to respond to any business need.
Components of SharePoint:
3 communities: SharePoint 2010 Communities delivers great collaboration tools
and a single platform to manage them. Make it easy for people to share ideas and work together the way they want.
4. CONTENT: SharePoint 2010 Content makes content management easy. Set up compliance measures ”behind the scenes”—with features like document types,
retention polices, and automatic content sorting—and then let people work
naturally in Microsoft Office.
5. SEARCH: SharePoint 2010 Search cuts through the clutter. A unique combination of relevance, refinement, and social cues helps people find the information and contacts they need to get their jobs done.
6. INSIGHTS: SharePoint 2010 Insights gives everyone access to the information in databases, reports, and business applications. Help people locate the information they need to make good decisions.
7. COMPOSITES: SharePoint 2010 Composites offers tools and components for creating do-it-yourself business solutions. Build no-code solutions to rapidly
respond to business needs.
Purpose of SharePoint:
1) It is Portal Collaboration Software Office SharePoint Server 2007 provides a single integrated platform to manage intranet, extranet, and Internet applications across the enterprise.
2) Business users gain greater control over the storage, security, distribution, and management of their electronic content, with tools that are easy to use and tightlyintegrated into familiar, everyday applications.
3) Organizations can accelerate shared business processes with customers and partners across organizational boundaries using InfoPath Forms Services–driven solutions.
4) Information workers can find information and people efficiently and easily through the facilitated information-sharing functionality and simplified content publishing. In addition, access to back-end data is achieved easily through a browser, and views into this data can be personalized.
5) Administrators have powerful tools at their fingertips that ease deployment, management, and system administration, so they can spend more time on strategic tasks.