A fruitful initiative by the Indian central government, The
BHIM-Aadhaar pay app, was launched on 14th April, 2017 on the birth
anniversary of Dr. BR Ambedkar.
The new updated app will have functionality for people to make payments without the use of their smartphones, through the scanning of their fingerprint on a scanner which will authenticate the biometric details of a user comparing it with the Aadhaar database.
The Bharat Interface for Money – BHIM app, was launched by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the vision to move forward in Digital India campaign, a few months ago, as a single option for all type of payment requirements. The app is currently available for Android OS and will be made available on the iOS platform shortly.
On the occasion of the launch of the app, PM Modi states that the BHIM app will have a positive affect on large number of people throughout the nation. He said that the Digi Dhan movement was a mission to have a corruption free India.
For whom it is and how to use it?
The app is primary for the merchants. To use the app, the merchant has to enter their details after downloading the app. The merchant has to connect it to a biometric system that has a fingerprint scanner. Customers who have linked their Aadhaar cards with the bank accounts will simply need to input their Aadhaar numbers in order to make a transaction. Their fingerprint in the Aadhaar database will act as the password. Users can synchronize multiple bank accounts and then choose which account to use at the time of payment.
Basic steps for you to make BHIM-Aadhaar payments
1. Linking Aadhaar cards to bank accounts.
2. The customer's Aadhaar number has to be entered along with the bank name and the amount to be transacted, during a transaction.
3. Fingerprints of the customer need to be scanned for making payment.
4. Money transfer will happen then automatically.
How much does it cost you?
Using Aadhaar based payment method will be free of charge to you. Users may get discount from the charges that normally they had to pay on previous debit card transactions.
Benefits of using the app
1. Customer does not need to have debit or credit cards.
2. The app does not require an internet connection.
3. No additional charges (Merchant Discount Rate not levied).
4. Cashless transactions.
5. Passwords, PIN numbers and such are not required.
Since, 27 banks are on board with the scheme with 7.15 lakh merchants.