Home > DeveloperSection > Forums > What is IEnumerable<> in C#?
Anupam Mishra

Total Post:135

Posted on    January-27-2016 10:36 PM

C# C#  .NET 
Ratings:

1 Reply(s)
 460  View(s)
Rate this:
Hi Everyone,
I am now using collections in c#. So , i want to please anyone can  give me a brief intro with implementation of IEnumerable<>  interface.

Thank You.

Anupam Mishra

Total Post:135

Posted on    January-28-2016 3:09 AM

In C# collection defines a non-generic IEnumerable interface and there is a generic type-safe IEnumerable<T> interface.

The IEnumerable interface is located in the System.Collections namespace and contains only a single method definition. The interface definition looks like this:

public interface IEnumerable
{
    IEnumerator GetEnumerator();
}

The GetEnumerator method must return an instance of an object of a class which implements the IEnumerator interface. I am not going to details. if you are interested, please visit the  msdn documentation.

It is important to know that the C# language foreach keyword works with all types that implement the IEnumerable interface. Only in C# it also works with things that don’t explicitly implement IEnumerable or IEnumerable<T>. I believe you have been using the foreach keyword many times and without worrying about the reason why and how it worked with that type.

IEnumerable<T>

Let’s now take a look at the definition of the generic and type-safe version called IEnumerable<T> which is located in the System.Collections.Generic namespace:

?

public interface IEnumerable<out T> : IEnumerable

{

IEnumerator<T> GetEnumerator();

}

As you can see the IEnumerable<T> interface inherits from the IEnumerable interface. Therefore a type which implements IEnumerable<T> has also to implement the members of IEnumerable.

IEnumerable<T> defines a single method GetEnumerator which returns an instance of an object that implements the IEnumerator<T> interface. We won’t have a look at this interface this time. Please take a look at the msdn documentation if you would like to get some more information.

IEnumerator<string> IEnumerable<string>.GetEnumerator()      //Generic
    {
      Console.WriteLine("Hi Guest");
      return this.elements.GetEnumerator();
    }
 //Non Generic
    IEnumerator IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()
    {
      return this.elements.GetEnumerator();
    }

Modified On Jan-28-2016 03:10:49 AM

Don't want to miss updates? Please click the below button!

Follow MindStick