Relaxin has beneficial effects upon the endometrium which are responsible for establishment of pregnancy. Relaxin is known to mediate the hemodynamic changes that occur during pregnancy. There can be many such as increased cardiac output, increased renal blood flow, and increased arterial compliance. It also relaxes other pelvic ligaments. Relaxin's peak is reached during the first trimester which is till the fourteen week and at delivery too. But then doctors also hold the view that either too much of relaxin hormone pregnancy or too little relaxin can be detrimental too.
The relaxin hormone plays an important role during pregnancy in following ways:
1. First you need to know the correct balance of hormones is essential for a successful pregnancy always. This is something which your doctors will be reminding you throughout your pregnancy period. Hormones act as the body’s chemical messengers sending information and feeding back responses between different tissues and organs.
2. Secondly you probably also know that Hormones travel around the body, usually via the blood, and attach to proteins on the cells called receptors much like a key fits a lock or a hand fits a glove. In response to this, the target tissue or organ changes its function so that pregnancy is maintained. Initially, the ovaries, and then later, the placenta, are the main producers of pregnancy related hormones that are essential in creating and maintaining the correct conditions required for a successful pregnancy.
3. And the third point will probably leave you a little astonished. You must be thinking about when does relaxin start in pregnancy? So the answer might shock you because actually, the role of relaxin hormone in pregnancy starts way before conception.
4. The relaxin hormone plays an important role during pregnancy in plethora of ways like preparing the uterus for pregnancy. The levels of relaxin increases after ovulation. At this time, in order to prepare the uterus for possible pregnancy,
5. Fifthly the role of relaxin during the first trimester of pregnancy is that During the early weeks of pregnancy, the relaxin levels are higher and this helps in successful implantation of fertilized egg into the uterine wall. And that is very important during the time a woman is pregnant.
6. Also the Relaxing intrauterine membrane is also active during pregnancy. During pregnancy the relaxin hormone prevents the possible contractions of the intrauterine membrane. In this way it helps in sustaining pregnancy and avoiding premature childbirth. Because premature babies mostly take births with a lot of disease making it really difficult for the tiny one to survive.
7. The relaxin hormone also is known to Relaxes the arteries. The blood volume doubles in women during pregnancy in order to meet the increased demand of oxygen and nutrients of the fetus as well as the mother. The relaxin hormone relaxes the blood vessels to handle the increased blood volume. This way, relaxin hormone prevents the possibility of high blood pressure.
This article will give you a brief idea about when does the relaxin starts in oreganncy and what is its role during pregnancy.