SFDC: Enable Social Collaboration
Users can follow merchandise records and collaborate on them using Chatter. When you are following a record, the platform automatically pushes notifications about updates to you. The feed for the record becomes a running log where users can collaborate on the data record by posting comments, files, links, and more.
Scenario: If we look at the default Invoice page layout in the Warehouse app, social collaboration isn't available. Why not?
Solution: When you created the Warehouse app, the app wizard automatically enabled feed tracking on the original object—in this case, Merchandise. However, for new custom objects, the platform doesn’t enable feed tracking by default. But it's easy to enable this functionality yourself in just a minute or two.
Once you’ve enabled feed tracking, you can also receive notifications on your mobile device, so that you’ll know when someone comments on your post or otherwise interacts with you. Here we also enable push notifications, which will send alerts to your mobile device, even when you’re not using the Salesforce1 downloadable app.
Compare the Page Layouts for Merchandise and Invoice tab
Take a look at how Merchandise already has a feed.
1. Click the Merchandise tab.
2. Click into any piece of merchandise and review the Merchandise page layout. Notice the top half of the page is dedicated to social collaboration. You can follow a piece of merchandise, attach files, and post useful links. You want that functionality for invoices too.
Enable Collaboration on Invoices
To enabled feed tracking:
1. From Setup, enter feed in the Quick Find box.
2. Click Feed Tracking.
3. Notice two fields are being tracked for Merchandise. Take a look at your Invoice object, and notice no fields are being tracked.
4. To enable feed tracking for Invoice, click Invoice, select Enable Feed Tracking, select Status, and click Save.
Try Out the App
Now that you've finished modifying the Invoice page layout, have a look around.
1. Click the Invoices tab, click into the detail page for an Invoice, and notice that the Chatter feed for an Invoice is now available.
2. You can collaborate on this invoice by clicking Follow. Now if you update an invoice (to change it from Closed to Open for example), anything that happens to the invoice status will automatically appear in your Chatter feed, and the feed of anyone else who follows this invoice.
From the app menu in the upper right, select Salesforce Chatter to see a feed-centric view of data in your organization. The Chatter app lets you securely collaborate with other users in your organization—kind of like a private, secure Facebook just for you and your coworkers
Enable Notifications for Mobile
Once you’ve enabled a feed, you will see those updates in Chatter, but you can also receive updates on your mobile device, even when your app isn’t running! To receive these updates, you need to enable notifications.
1. From Setup, click Salesforce1 Setup > Notification Options.
2. Select the notifications you want your Salesforce1 users to receive.
3. If you’re authorized to do so for your company, select include full content in push notifications
4. Click Save. If you checked the box to include full content in push notifications, a pop-up appears displaying terms and conditions.
Click OK or Cancel.
By enabling this option, you’re agreeing to the terms and conditions on behalf of your company. For details, see Salesforce1 Notifications Overview in the Salesforce help. Now when someone mentions you in a post or comments on a post you created, you’ll get a notification on your device, even when your Salesforce1 downloadable app isn’t running! You can’t see any notifications yet, because you need to create another user to make some updates.
**This document is referred from salesforce help tutorials