Most organizations keep important data in all sorts of places, including documents and spreadsheets. In this post, we learn how to load data that currently lives in a personal spreadsheet into the Warehouse app, where everyone in our organization can view and manage the data.
There are several ways to load data, and this post shows only one method, using
a Custom Object Import Wizard. This wizard uses a CSV file as its source. A CSV file is a plain text file with each field separated by commas—thus the name “comma-separated values.”
Create a data file
The first step is to make a simple data file that you can use for this tutorial.
1. To save you time, download the necessary CSV-formatted text file, from this URL:
2. Right-click and save the file locally.
The field names are on the first line. These names match the labels for fields in the Merchandise object.
Text fields are delimited by quotes, allowing you to include spaces and special characters inside a text field. Fields that have a number data type don’t require quotes.
Load the Data
Loading data from a CSV file into a custom object is simple using the Custom Object Import Wizard.
From Setup, in the Quick Find field, type import and then click Import Custom Objects.
1. At the bottom of the page, click Start the
2. When the wizard starts, select Merchandise, then click Next.
3. Select No, and then click Next.
4. Select None, and then click Next.
5. Click Choose File or Browse... and select the data file you created earlier, then click Next.
6. Notice on the Field Mapping step you can match headings in your CSV file to field names in Salesforce. That was already done in the CSV file, so you can click Next.
7. Click Import Now! And then Finish.
Note: Once you finish the wizard, the platform queues the data load. For large sets of data, it may take a while for the data load to happen, and you’ll be notified by email when the data load completes. If you want to monitor this process more closely, in Setup, click Imports.
Check the imported data:
Once the data load is completed, go back to your app and confirm that the new Merchandise records are in place.
1. Click the Merchandise tab.
2. Next to the View drop-down list, make sure All is selected and click Go!
**This document is referred from
salesforce help tutorials