INSIDE ONCLICKLISTENER I CANNOT ACCESS A LOT OF THINGS - HOW TO APPROACH?

JAMES Williams

Total Post:7

Posted by  JAMES Williams
 472  View(s)
Ratings:
Rate this:
Inside an OnClickListener I cannot access most variables "outside" of the scope, like this:
findViewById(R.id.Button01).setOnClickListener(new OnClickListener()
        {
            @Override
            public void onClick(View v)
            {
                Intent mainApps = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_MAIN);
                mainApps.addCategory(Intent.CATEGORY_LAUNCHER);
                List<ActivityInfo> activities = this.getPackageManager().queryIntentActivities(mainApps, 0);
                /*
                Intent intent = new Intent("com.sygic.drive/com.sygic/drive/.SygicDriveActivity");
                startActivity(intent);*/
            }
        });

in this example I need to get the PacketManager, and I cannot get it since I do not have the Context available inside the OnClickListener.

I could make a static reference outside, and use it inside, but is that correct? Seems odd to have to do that all the time?
  1. Mayank Tripathi

Re: Inside OnClickListener I cannot access a lot of things - how to approach?

Replace this in your code with MyActivity.this where MyActivity is the class name of your Activity subclass.

Explanation: You are creating an anonymous inner class when you use this part of your code: 
    new OnClickListener() {
    Anonymous inner classes have a reference to the instance of the class they are created in. It looks like you are creating it inside an Activity subclass because findViewById is an Activity method. Activity's are a Context, so all you need to do is use the reference to it that you have automatically.

Answer

NEWSLETTER

Enter your email address here always to be updated. We promise not to spam!