Glen Martin
Glen Martin

Total Post:27

Posted on    December-03-2015 12:15 AM

Java Java  Session 

1 Reply(s)
 360  View(s)
Rate this:
1) What is an acceptable size range of objects that should be attached to a session? If I attach an object that can be 5k, and I have 10k valid sessions at any given time, that's 50MB of memory which seems acceptable to me. Is that a valid way to approach the issue, or are there other significant concerns?

2) This is probably a dumb question, but if I attach an object to a session with a 2 week lifetime, can I access the attribute as though it were in memory for the whole duration of the session?

3) Is there any reason NOT to always persist session information to a DB?

Mayank Tripathi
Mayank Tripathi

Total Post:397

Posted on    December-03-2015 12:20 AM

Acceptable size depends on your use case and number of concurrent sessions. If your sessions last 2 weeks, then it is conceivable that you could have a lot of concurrent sessions, but if 10k is your anticiapted maximum then there should be no problem with a 5k session object (as your calculation illustrates).

As long as you have a reference to the session object (or are able to get such a reference) then the data will persist in the session. Remember that your session objects must be serializable.

You may not want to persist all session data to a db for performance reasons, especially if the session data can be easily recreated.

Don't want to miss updates? Please click the below button!

Follow MindStick