To create cool apps and use cloud services in a fly first salesforce developer have to create a developer edition account to explore and understand what features and environment is provided by Force.com
Sign Up for Developer edition:
Developer Edition organization, or DE org for short. DE orgs are multipurpose environments with all of the features and permissions that allow you to develop, package, test, and install apps.
1. In your browser, go to http://sforce.co/YrZZJ3.
2. Fill in the fields about you and your company.
3. In the Email Address field, make sure to use a public address you can easily check from a Web browser.
4. Type a unique Username. Note that this field is also in the form of an email address, but it does not have to be the same as your
1. email address, and in fact, it’s usually better if they aren’t the same. Your username is your login and your identity on
2. developer.salesforce.com, so you’re often better served by choosing a username such as
4. Read and then select the checkbox for the Master Subscription Agreement and then click Submit Registration.
5. In a moment you’ll receive an email with a login link. Click the link and change your password.
Once we get this developer edition account, now we are all set to explore and mess with Salesforce
**This document is referred from salesforce help tutorials