All cabinets are reliably protected bodies designed for heavy equipment. Usually, they are installed either in a server room or in public places. In the latter case, a door locking system is needed to prevent unauthorized access.
A wall-mount server rack is designed for the installation of telecommunications hardware. It has metal, glass, or ventilated doors and accommodates equipment from 6U to 18U in size. Cabinet capacity is calculated in units. One unit is 1,75 inches.
Most models are listed to IP20 class of security, which means that they are protected from the ingress of particles larger than 12 mm and are not protected from water. Products with a higher protection class are called all-weather cabinets.
Types of Wall-Mounted Furniture
The height of a hinged wall-mount server rack varies and depends on the number of components placed in it. Depending on the height, they distinguish the following classes of products:
- 6U. The majority of products of this class are characterized by 600-mm width. They are able to carry a maximum distributed load of 50-60 kg. The depth of a standard rack ranges between 250-281 mm.
- 9U. The racks of this group are more standardized: all models are 600-mm wide, which makes it possible to ergonomically place several cabinets together. An average weight carried by a wall-mountable server rack is about 50-60 kg. The depth varies from 300 to 500 mm.
- 12U and 15U have similar characteristics. A side-mount server rack from this group is 600-mm wide and accommodates hardware of a total weight of 50-60 kg. The depth may vary from 300 to 400 mm.
- 18U. The largest models belong to this class. They have the following characteristics: 550-mm wide and 220-420-mm deep with a total load of 60 kg.
Tips for Picking the Right Rack Model
Before you buy a wall server rack for mounting, treat its choice thoroughly. The issue is quite complicated. It is not easy to pick a suitable rack, so consider the below-mentioned tips.
1. First of all, decide on the hardware and accessories accommodated in it. make a list of all components of your server room. To find out what height you need, you should add the heights of all devices stored there. Note that the rack height is measured in units. Thus, a 2U cabinet is 3,5 inches. It is advisable to leave some spare space for further cabinet enlargement and allowing airflow to circulate through equipment.
2. To determine the best cabinet depth, you need to measure the length of your devices, add them, and add 3 inches more for cabling.
3. When dealing with wall or ceiling mount server rack, the load does matter. Exceeding the maximum permissible weight will lead to falling and damage to property. So, calculate the weight of all the accommodated components and compare it with the maximum load indicated in the specs of the model.
4. Another issue about wall fastening is making sure that the wall itself and all fasteners (studs) are powerful enough to hold a heavy server rack. Special steel studs are used for mounting furniture to the wall.
5. Think about cabinet type. Different models have diverse features that help improve hardware functioning inside the cabinet. For example, perforated doors increase air circulation or special locks on the door improve security. So, decide on whether you need such options or not.
6. Pick an open-frame or enclosed model. Open-frame racks are less secure; thus, they are suitable for closed premises. Still, they ensure better ventilation and easier access to all components of the network, as well as simplifying cable routing. While enclosure provides a higher level of security and is suitable for installing outdoors. So, you have to define where the cabinet will be installed.
7. Note that you should always leave space inside the product. Do not buy a small cabinet that tightly accommodates your devices. First of all, think about perspectives. Data centers operate not a year. It is a long-term investment for many years ahead. You may need to add new components, accessories, or apparatus to the system. So, extra space won’t be too much. Moreover, it will provide more heat exchange and prevent hardware breakage due to overheating.
8. Power socket availability. Most often, when connecting the cabinet to a power supply more than one socket is required. Make sure that the cords are long enough.
9. Usually, wall cabinets serve as storage for patch panels and switches. Yet, servers may be installed there as well. In this case, make sure that they are placed on the top of the rack.
10. Consider the issue of ventilation. Since one wall of the product will be fasteners to the wall, its natural air circulation is decreased. Decide on how you’re going to cool apparatus at the initial stage of planning cabinet layout.
Do not hurry up to buy a wall rack. Consider the step from all sides and go through all the above-mentioned tips before making the final decision.