Flexible Electronic Displays are now becoming in fashion as they are being used increasingly in various applications due to its lightweight and favorable dielectric property. It is an electronic visual display which is flexible and easy to manage in nature. Not only for the commercial purpose but it single user customers are also increasing and taking interest in this new technology. Various manufacturers are applying this technology in different fields like mobile phones, electronic book reading, and other consumer electronics.
The Flexible Electronic Display is very much different from these flat panels display like OLED, LED, or LCD. The Flexible Display is a solid-state device made up of thin films of organic molecules which create light by the introduction of electricity. OLED comes under the category of Flexible Electronic which is being used to make curved televisions and phones. These OLEDs are light weighted and are of paper-thin width, so it became the best option for making devices and wearable electronics. These flexible display OLED devices are referred to as ‘FAMOLED’ by the Samsung.
These Flexible Electronic Displays are also used as E-paper. Whereas, E-paper display is not appropriate for phones and tablets because they have a low refresh rate, ghosting problem, and are not available for mass-production in color. Flexible Electronic Display is a technology which allows building electronic circuits on flexible plastic which makes it bendable and stretchable.
1. Flexible: The flexible property of Flexible Electronic Display is considered very promising to achieve foldable as well as a stretchable device. Its flexibility brings benefits to biometrics and medical applications.
2. Light and Thin: The lightweight and thickness of Flexible Electronic Display have the basic point to see is the sensor application in the device. Its light weight can make it easy to use, more mobile and user-friendly.
3. Unbreakable: The flexible device is robust in nature, which makes all the flexible product like wearables, tablet, and other electronic which traditionally use glass-based displays.
4. Cost Benefit: The process of making Flexible Electronic Display is different but the main aim of using this technology is to minimize the expenses as compared to the tradition devices.
5. Innovative: Flexible Electronic will give creative freedom to the designers to develop flexible components like flexible display and sensor. It will help in developing and innovating next-generation products.
1. Low Refresh Rate: The Flexible Electronic Display has a very low refresh rate as compared to LCD or OLED Display Screen or Technology. It forbid the manufacturers for using this display technology in those electronic devices which have the high number of user interactivity.
2. Ghosting Effect: The Ghosting Effect arises due to the low refresh rate, due to which the display technology has to work by moving charged pigment particles.
3. High Market Competition: The existing display technology has become the biggest competition in the market which is considered as the industry’s standard.
4. Needs Backlighting: The Flexible Electronic Displays biggest drawback is that it still needs a backlight for less power consumption. Backlighting means devices use some light source such as backlight to be usable when in the dark.
Application of Flexible Electronic Display
1. Interior Design of Automotive: The Flexible Display allows the designers to create a unique and revolutionary interior design of car which doesn’t only limited to the dashboard.
- The increase in car safety can be attained by using a quality rear display as well as side display.
- The car interior of glass can be replaced by plastics, which could avoid the crash safety issue with the glass.
2. Biometrics: The Flexible fingerprinting is integrated with many devices very easily. The flexible fingerprint sensor on any electronic device is very thin, light, and robust in nature. The Biometrics can be integrated with various devices like Smart Phones, Automobiles, Smartwatch or Wearables, Border Control, Smart Cards, Point of Sale etc. All these devices are made by using plastic so it is cheap to produce and bring cost advantage to the manufacturer.
3. Digital Signage: Digital Signage are devices which are used to creating and selling content. The specific type of flexible display in this category is the usage of Liquid Crystal Display and also known as Organic LCD (OLCD) which provides all the facilities of LCD but the only difference is it allows a larger display as well covering the shape of a building, vehicle or any other surface.
4. Healthcare: In the Healthcare sector the Flexible Electronic Display plays a crucial role which brings great efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and utility to medical application, as well as include various medical devices for diagnostic purpose. The devices include. X-Ray Detectors, Smart Plastics, Lab-on-Chip Devices, Health Monitoring Device.
5. Smart Devices: Flexible Display has taken not only the smartphones and smart wearables but also the Smart Devices. These smart devices have a flexible display as well as innovative unlock system for the smart device and bring it to life. All these smart devices include Smart Speakers, Home Appliances etc.