While there is more and more talking about CBD-based products going on, it seems that not a lot of people really understand what it is. This is why it’s so important to try to separate CBD from THC and set the record straight once and for all.
As you are just about to learn, these two compounds share a certain number of similarities, but saying that they are the same could definitely not be farther from the truth! Once you’re done reading this article, you will have enough information to decide where to buy CBD oils, which one suits you better - THC or CBD, and you’ll learn a little something about hemp oil too!
Of course, the first thing that you should do is check if these substances are legal in your region, to begin with!
Now that you’re sure that these substances are legal in your country/region/state, let’s get straight into explaining the differences and similarities of the two most famous cannabinoids found in the marijuana plant!
THC & CBD: Similarities
You’ll be surprised to hear that THC and CBD share the same chemical structure. Both have 21 carbon atoms, 30 hydrogen atoms, and 2 oxygen atoms. However, thanks to the slight difference in how these atoms are arranged, these two compounds have a different effect on our bodies.
Another similarity that THC and CBD share is the fact that they are, chemically speaking, quite similar to our bodies’ own endocannabinoids. This means that they can interact with cannabinoid receptors (CB1 and CB2).
THC & CBD: Differences
Now, this is where things get interesting! As you could have seen from their similarities, even the things that make them similar to each other actually end up making these two compounds quite different from each other.
As you already know, the most important difference between tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol is the fact that THC is psychoactive. However, another important difference is the aforementioned binding with the cannabinoid receptors!
THC actually binds with CB1 and CB2 receptors quite easily and produces a sense of euphoria, or “a high”. However, its non-psychoactive counterpart has a hard time binding to these receptors. Even in the (rare) event it does, CBD actually interferes with the THC binding and ends up toning down its psychoactive effect!
THC & CBD: Benefits
As mentioned, both CBD and THC can have lots of benefits for our health (and actually share some of them). But first, let’s see which conditions THC can, in some cases, help alleviate:
- Muscle spasticity
- Low appetite
On the other hand, CBD is commonly used as an addition to treatments for:
- Chronic pain
- Eczema and acne
- Psychosis or mental disorders
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Substance abuse
Hemp oil vs CBD oil - Are they the same?
While you could have guessed that these oils could actually be the same thing, since they have similar benefits for health, the two are different kinds of oil. The main difference is the fact that hemp oil is extracted from hemp seeds, while CBD oil is obtained from the resins of cannabis flowers.
Another thing that sets them apart is their chemical composition differs - hemp oil has a higher content of cannabinoid a can legally contain less than 0.3% of THC, while CBD oils usually have somewhat higher levels of THC, depending on the brand and the manufacturer, of course.
Also keep in mind that up to 40 percent of hemp oils’ content is CBD, while the remaining 60 percent is mostly made up from fatty acids (omega 3 & 6), vitamins (B1, B2, B6, D), water, chlorophyll, trace minerals, glycosides, carbohydrates, pigments, etc.
Since hemp oil has a high content of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, it is considered to be a great choice for both vegetarians and vegans. They can sometimes struggle to find products with an optimal ratio of these acids and hemp oil will offer them with just that!
And of course, since hemp oil has got a low sugar and carbohydrate content, it is the go-to choice for diabetics.
As mentioned, hemp oil contains a small amount of THC, making it perfectly safe to use it on your dogs. As you know, older dogs tend to have difficulties walking and often have health conditions such as arthritis or chronic back pains, and this is the perfect natural remedy to help alleviate the pain. Hemp oil will also prove itself quite useful for your pet if they have medical issues such as inflammation, seizures, or even separation anxiety!
As promised, you learned a whole lot of new pieces of information about THC, CBD, and hemp oil. After a conversation with your doctor, you will be able to determine which one of the three is the best choice for you. Enjoy your new natural remedy, whichever you end up choosing!