The extension of living place and recreation is one of the tasks of the architect of any country cottage project. In one-story houses, this problem rises most acutely and forces us to look for non-standard solutions that will provide additional living space. At the same time, it does not play a special role, what room space you own. You can extend the living place of a small or big house as well. The desire to make an extended and beautiful cottage space is inherent in every owner. Though after purchasing home-owners can take home remodeling services to improve their homes and implement all the ideas they have.
Ways to Increase Living Space in a One-Story House
Single-level cottages have several features that have influenced their popularity among customers: easy use of any room without the need for stairs, as well as the ability to completely isolate the building from prying eyes with the help of green spaces. Single-story cottages provide more privacy and a high level of comfort for family members of all ages - children and their parents.
The increase in living space makes it possible to create single-story objects in almost any area - with different relief and dimensions. Very often home-owners prefer home improvement https://ikhomepros.com/home-improvement/ because after it they extend the living space of their homes and live in more comfortable conditions.
The most common ways to expand space are:
• The use of the underground part of the building and the device of the basement floor, or an equipped basement;
• Attracting under-roof volumes or changing the geometry of the roof to create several additional rooms;
• Use the houses that are close to a square or rectangle in the plan - this avoids the appearance of "blind zones" or structures that occupy a useful area;
• Arrangement of terraces and verandas for the removal of some functional areas outside the cottage.
Ways to Increase Living Space in a One-story House
The described methods have their positive and negative sides, which must be taken into account when creating project documentation. The best solution would be to consult with an experienced specialist who can provide several options for increasing living space, based on practical considerations, and not on popular advice from glossy magazines.
One of the advantages of each of the methods described is that they do not violate the rules for the construction of country houses. After all, neither the attic nor the basement level is considered full-fledged floors, and therefore they are not subject to taxation or special construction requirements. What is not a reason to get even more advantages from a reasonable and optimized extension in living space.
Above, we have listed the main directions in which you need to move if you want to extend the usable space in a country residence. Before you start discussing design documentation with an architect, study each method more seriously.
The Extension of Living Space Using the Attic Floor
Attic Floor Extension
The most popular and widespread way of expanding the internal space of a house, which practically does not affect the structure of the building as a whole. In some cases, only a slight increase in the angle of inclination or a change in the geometry of the roof is necessary to receive more space inside the attic. At the same time, the financial factor remains the main factor affecting the popularity of this method, since the attic and its arrangement does not greatly affect the final estimated cost.
In any case, this method of expanding the living space is recommended for one-story houses. All the same, after all, when creating a roofing pie, a lot of insulation, hydro, and vapor insulators are used. So why not increase their number by only 20% and get a ready-made area for various rooms! It is worth remembering that interior decoration also does not require any special tools and materials, especially if you choose a conventional gable roof with attic sides. Even with a complex roof shape, space can be easily allocated for organizing bedrooms, playrooms, offices, or any other rooms.
The attic is inhabited, but warm and with amenities. Now, this is the most common option for expanding living space in private houses. You don't need to draw up documents, you don't need to spend money on walls either, often a small modernization of the attic space is enough, and the increase in usable area is up to 60% of the first floor.
Living Space Extension Using the Basement Floor
- 1. The individual design of houses and cottages allows you to create an underground level with fully equipped rooms. The functionality of the space is determined by the needs and technical parameters of the building. The desire of the customer to place additional objects in his private residence has considerable influence. The basement floor has several advantages:
- 2. A garage with workshops can be moved to the underground space, which frees up space on the land parcel. On the land parcel of the car storage, you can build several more additional rooms for a large family or create a recreation area with playrooms and a billiard room;
- 3. It is preferable to place all technical objects on the basement floor: boiler room, storeroom, pumping equipment, laundry, cellar. This frees up space on the main floor and increases the efficiency of the supporting equipment since it assumes natural and forced circulation of water, air, and heat;
- 4. The basement serves as a kind of "pillow" that protects the upper floor from soil cooling, which leads to savings in floor insulation;
- 5. On the lower level, you can additionally equip a sports and fitness area with a gym, swimming pool, or plunge pool. The arrangement of lounges with a bar, libraries, and even study rooms is popular too.
Ways to Increase Living Space Using the Size of the House
It is generally accepted that the most optimal rooms have a square shape, or close to it. This way you can use the entire space without a doubt of creating non-functional semicircular zones or areas with complex geometry. To optimize living space as much as possible, experts recommend using those home projects where the shape of the building tends to be square, without unnecessary decorative elements. But this does not apply to bay windows, which, with a slight change in shape, can provide additional feet of living space and change the rectilinear shape of the house.
Also, various verandas and terraces are often used, on which not very important objects can be taken out and free up the interior space of the house. For example, a gym can be set up on a covered and partially fenced-off terrace, where it will be convenient and comfortable to exercise at any time of the year, except in winter, when the equipment can be put into the pantry. Seasonal dining rooms are also arranged on the terraces, and if there is also a fireplace, you can receive guests at any time of the year. You can remodel your home as you wish and live in almost a new home not buying or renting it.
The Square Footage of the Surrounding Area
If the territory allows, then you can add many additional rooms to your house. So, for example, if you block the garage. Workshops and a relaxation room in one long building, then the house will immediately receive space for several bedrooms or guest rooms. When it located in narrow and small-sized areas, it is better to use the method of grouping technical rooms along one side of the house to extend more space for living.
If everything is clear with individual designs, then you need to be very careful with finished cottages and houses. The fact is that the structure and volume of building materials have already been calculated and prepared for implementation, and any serious changes can lead to the fact that the cost of edits to the standard project will be equal to the individual design.
But even in the case of typical developments, there are many ways to increase the usable living space of a one-story house:
- 1. Discard unnecessary premises that only take up space and require additional cnstruction operations. For example, group the boiler room, laundry room, and technical room and ensure an adequate level of fire safety with our specialist. This will add a few feet of living space;
- 2. Exclude from the project a large number of passages, corridors, vestibules, dressing rooms. In this case, it is better to use the experience of a professional architect, who will help you to change the internal layout and perform home remodeling at the highest level;
- 3. Use attic space. Each project has a section along the planes indicating the size of the roof space. If the size of the attic is not the smallest, you can create an additional room. Remember that in the finished project it is much easier to change the roof to a simpler and less heavy one, which will free up large internal volumes;
- 4. Try to group all objects that require water and sewerage connections, and also refuse additional bathrooms. For a normal and comfortable living of a family of 3-4 people, one large bathroom and a guest toilet are enough.
- Each of the described methods has its pros and cons. Which one to prefer, you choose as a developer. You can even use all of these methods to almost triple the living space of a single-level home. Besides, outwardly, your cottage will look like a simple one-story house with a compact arrangement of all the internal premises.
Each of the described methods has its pros and cons. Which one to prefer, you choose as a developer. You can even use all of these methods to almost triple the living space of a single-level home. Besides, outwardly, your cottage will look like a simple one-story house with a compact arrangement of all the internal premises.
Garage or Utility Block
In modern conditions, the garage has become not just a place for storing a car, but a second home for the owner. By tradition, a workplace or mini-workshop, storage areas, and some even a recording studio and a rehearsal base are located here. The most convenient place for a garage extension is parallel to the side facade with a solid slope or an independent roof, but options for a perpendicular room with its gable roof are also possible.
Fully glazed rooms with a frame made of metal, wood, or stone became fashionable in the 19th century with the introduction of steam heating in European homes. The inhabitants of such "gardens" were expensive exotic plants that were brought from colonial countries by travelers and entrepreneurs. Nowadays, the winter garden is available not only to representatives of the aristocracy: everyone can attach a small oasis to their home.
When choosing and changing a project, it is best to contact professional home remodelers and designers who will help you optimally increase the size of your house and correctly calculate the necessary estimates, specifications, and create drawings. The high professionalism of the contractor and an integrated approach to design are the guarantee that you will receive a one-story cottage that is unique and unlike any other.
Experts note that it is possible to carry out reconstruction and increase the area in almost any house. Wood, frame, brick - no boundaries. The main thing is to understand what exactly you need and entrust the work to professionals so that the existing structures do not suffer, and the newly built ones have served for a long time and to the delight of the owners.