1) Silverlightis a web based technology, launched by Microsoft in April 2007. Silverlight isconsidered as a competitor to Adobe's Flash.
2) Silverlightis Microsoft's implementation of a cross-browser, cross-platform clientframework that allows designers and developers to deliver Rich InternetApplications (RIA) embedded in Web pages.
3) Silverlightis a browser plug-in approximately 6MB in size; it is client-side freesoftware, with an easy and fast (less than 10 sec) one time installationavailable for any client side browser.
4) Itsupports advanced data integration, multithreading, HD video using IIS SmoothStreaming, and built-in content protection. Silverlight enables online andoffline applications for a broad range of business and consumer scenarios.
5) Oneof the design goals of the Silverlight technology is to fill the gap betweenWindows applications and Web applications in terms of creating Graphical UserInterfaces (GUI).
6) Silverlightapplications are run as client-side applications without the need to refreshthe browser to update the UI. However, because of the built-in .NET framework,Silverlight applications can easily integrate with server-side controls andservices. Using Silverlight's implementation of the .NET framework, developerscan easily integrate existing libraries and code into Silverlight applications.