In any development environment, we should use a computer with an x64-capable CPU, and at least 2 gigabytes (GB) of RAM to install and run SharePoint Foundation.
Following are the options:
· Install SharePoint on Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 x64 (or Windows Server 2008 R2 x64).
· Use Microsoft Hyper-V and install SharePoint on a virtual machine running a Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 x64 (or Windows Server 2008 R2 x64) guest operating system.
· Install SharePoint on Windows 7 x64, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 x64, or Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x64.
· Use Microsoft Hyper-V and install SharePoint on a virtual machine running a Windows 7 x64, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 x64, or Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x64 guest operating system.
We must download and install the WCF HotFix for Microsoft Windows.
Here I am going to explain the software requirements and installation process in Windows7:
1) We have to download and install the WCF Hotfix for Windows 7 (Windows6.1-KB976462-v2-x64.msu (4.13 mb)) from the official website of Microsoft:
2) Then we have to download and install the Windows Identity Foundation (Windows6.1-KB974405-x64.msu (1.47 mb)) from the Microsoft official website: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17331
3) Download and Install SharePoint Server (setup.exe) but before starting the setup configure the IIS on your system.
Start the setup by double click on the setup.exe file. When the process start it display a Microsoft Software License Terms, you have accept the agreement and click on continue button to proceed.
In the next window you have to choose the installation for the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010. Click on Standalone button.
In next window you will see the installation progress window.
When the installation is complete, run the configuration wizard by checking the option Run the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard now and click on Close button.
When you click on Close button configuration wizard window will open. Click on Next to continue.
In next window when you click on Next button it will show you a warning, ignore the warning and click on OK.
Again it will show you a warning related to IIS configuration when you click on OK button, this time you have to click on Yes button to ignore the warning as you had already configured the IIS on your system. Click on Next button to proceed.
After clicking on Next button, wait until the configuration has not been completed.
When the configuration has been completed you will receive a Congratulation Successful notification in the next window.
You can check the service by running SharePoint 2010 Central Administration.
If you get a blank page while running SharePoint 2010 Central Administration, then you have to run the following command on cmd (command prompt):
start /w pkgmgr /iu:IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WebServer;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-LoggingLibraries;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-HttpTracing;IIS-CustomLogging;IIS-ManagementScriptingTools;IIS-Security;IIS-BasicAuthentication;IIS-WindowsAuthentication;IIS-DigestAuthentication;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-Performance;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-HttpCompressionDynamic;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-Metabase;IIS-WMICompatibility;WAS-WindowsActivationService;WAS-ProcessModel;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ConfigurationAPI;WCF-HTTP-Activation;WCF-NonHTTP-Activation
After executing the above command open the IIS manager (inetmgr) and double click on Authentication option.
Enable the Windows Authentication and disable Anonymous Authentication and then run the SharePoint 2010 Central Administration.
Thanks for reading this article. I think this article will help you a lot while you installing a Sharepoint server in Windows7.