Concept of ASP.Net
ASP.NET is a web application framework developed and marketed by Microsoft to allow programmers to build dynamic web sites, web applications and web services.
ASP.NET is the next generation ASP, but it's not an upgraded version of ASP.
ASP.NET is a technology for building powerful, dynamic Web applications and is part of the .NET Framework
.NET is not a programming language. ".NET is a framework"
.Net is not a fully platform independent it is a partially platform independent
What is ASP.NET?
ASP.NET is a server side scripting technology that enables scripts (embedded in web pages) to be executed by an Internet server.
- ASP.NET is a Microsoft Technology
- ASP stands for Active Server Pages
- ASP.NET is a program that runs inside IIS
- IIS (Internet Information Services) is Microsoft's Internet server
- IIS comes as a free component with Windows servers
- IIS is also a part of Windows 2000 and XP Professional
What is an ASP.NET File?
- An ASP.NET file is just the same as an HTML file
- An ASP.NET file can contain HTML, XML, and scripts
- Scripts in an ASP.NET file are executed on the server
- An ASP.NET file has the file extension ".aspx"
New in ASP.NET
- Fully language support
- Programmable controls
- XML-based components
- User authentication, with accounts and roles
- Increased performance - Compiled code
- Easier configuration and deployment
- Not fully ASP compatible
How Does ASP.NET Work?
- When a browser requests an HTML file, the server returns the file
- When a browser requests an ASP.NET file, IIS passes the request to the ASP.NET engine on the server
- The ASP.NET engine reads the file, line by line, and executes the scripts in the file
- Finally, the ASP.NET file is returned to the browser as plain HTML
The major difference in classic asp and asp.net is that in classic asp web page is fixed and static .Run time modification is not possible in classic asp neither has the support of fully programming language